- 4 eggs plus the yolks of 2 eggs
- 1 (200 g) cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 (70 g) cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 teaspoons pumpkin spice mix (or speculaas mix)
- 2 cans (12 oz or 400 ml) of unsweetened evaporated milk
- 1 small butternut squash or other pumpkin (about 4 cups or 900 g, 31.7 oz)
- 1 (store-bought) pie crust
To make pumpkin purée from scratch, peel & cut the pumpkin in dices. Scrape out the insides (you can save the pumpkins seeds to toast) and discard.
On a low to medium heat, simmer the pumpkin in the evaporated milk, add the sugar and spice while simmering (about 1 hour). Let the mixture cool down (even better when you put it in the fridge for a night).
Beat the eggs, mix them in the cooled pumpkin purée and preheat your oven to 425°F (220 °C).
Line a baking dish with the store bought pie crust. Pour in the filling and bake at a high temperature of 425°F (220 °C) for 15 minutes. Then after 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 350°F (180 ° C). Bake for 45 to 55 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool the pumpkin pie on a wire rack for 2 hours.Serve with whipped cream or some sugared pecans.