- 2 eggplants
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion, cut into rings
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped|1 clove of garlic
- 6 peeled, deseeded tomatoes (or a 400 g tin of tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 50 g raisins
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 50 g green olives, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch flat-leaved parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh mint, coarsely chopped
Cut the eggplants into 2cm cubes. Sprinkle with salt and allow the salt to absorb the moisture from the eggplants for around 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplants and pat dry with paper towel.
Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in a pan. Sauté the onion, celery and garlic until transparent. Add the coarsely chopped tomatoes and allow to reduce for 5 minutes.
Now add the sugar, balsamic vinegar, raisins, capers and olives. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
In a second pan, heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and fry the cubed eggplant for 5 minutes until golden. Add the eggplant to the tomato sauce and bring back to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
Just before serving, mix the flat-leaved parsley and mint into the caponata. Delicious served cold or hot!